Gardening thread

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by martin-f, Jan 11, 2018.

1. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

With spring on its way thought it would be nice to have a gardening thread, I know we have one keen gardener hope we have a few more:)

Had a few hours away from DIY today and cleared the greenhouse ready for whatever I'm going to put in,

Noticed the first flower of the year while messing with the greenhouse and was pleased with the growth of the Pampas grass I only put it in last year :)

IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1016.JPG

2. reddiesel

reddiesel Moderator Staff Member

Im thinking of starting a veg plot this year, a raised bed which i will have to either fence off or maybe a poly-tunnel to keep the dogs off, we have a bull mastiff and a french bulldog which wreck any plants , any suggestions on whats the best to start with ? i have some raspberry canes and rhubarb in big tubs to go in that i got last year, i will probably put some trellis against the fence for the raspberry's i've got mixed early and late varieties .

martin-f likes this.
  3. martin-f

Hi Red I only started gardening a few years ago before we moved here we only had a lawn and decking, our new garden was in a right old state when we moved in, after lots of hard work removing trees putting new fences up and getting a lawn down I had the bug but still a novice, @pontiend will be able to advise you better he's a bit of a dab hand closely watched by Mrs ponti :).

reddiesel likes this.
  4. martin-f

Hi spent most of today in the garden moving rubble, I managed to get one of my borders sorted out, hopefully the weather will be just as nice over the weekend and I can get work done on the others.
    IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1170.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG

Olivia and pontiend like this.
  5. pontiend

pontiend Senile Member

Its the other way round martin.Mrs ponti is the gardener watched by Mr Ponti.:)Soon be sunflower time though those and the beans and leaks are my department.:)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    martin-f and wasp11 like this.
  6. martin-f

You do a dam good job between you Ray your garden looks lovely :), Yes wont be long before we get the sunflowers in :), my red ones was a big disappointment last year,

It was late in the year when i got my greenhouse operational i will start them of in there this year,

Spent some time in the garden today managed to get more borders sorted out,
    DSC_0064.JPG DSC_0062.JPG

Then cleaned the pond out and run the pump all afternoon,
    DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    Later this afternoon i made two bird boxes, just need to drill the holes when i find a suitable drill bit i have one somewhere.
    DSC_0072.JPG DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0075.JPG DSC_0077.JPG DSC_0078.JPG

cactikid likes this.
  7. cactikid

cactikid Well-Known Member

bloody hell now i feel very quilty of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz all weekend and colder weather on the way and maybe snow,looking top job mrs martin;)

martin-f likes this.
  8. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

I got some Leek seeds planted in a seed tray and put in the window Yesterday, I'm going to start some beets later this week. Soon be time to start the first Early Tates chitting.

@reddiesel
    if you have a good sunny spot, then Tomatoes are a good choice, otherwise Peas, Carrots or Salad crops can be grown in a raised bed. I did try Potatoes and onions at home but the dog thought it was a game and dug everything up and brought it to me

reddiesel and martin-f like this.
  9. martin-f

I am going to put some in this week Ray, have you done anything with yours yet.

10. cactikid

all the snow and water and no gardening

martin-f likes this.
  11. reddiesel

Been trying to clean mine up it's just a muddy swamp at the moment, the dogs have destroyed the lawn, Ive got a laurel bush problem which is growing between next doors fence the roots are like tree trunks and i can only dig them out on my side, Ive tried waste oil to kill it ,i chop it right back every year and it just grows back, weed killer has no affect,im going to try drilling holes in the main trunk and filling with SBK as someone suggested.
    I have my fruit bushes in big pots at the moment they didn't like the snow much but have started to sprout, we have some veg, beans and stuff in a greenhouse tent thing starting off.

martin-f likes this.
  12. martin-f

I planted some flower seeds in the GH before the bad weather luckily only a few days before so they didn't have time to germinate, anyhow since its warmed up a little some seeds has started to grow.
    20180223_155449.jpg

13. cactikid

coolglass on the windows in march lol

martin-f likes this.
  14. lincsat

I've just planted out my 1st batch of Leeks, put them under cloches until the 1st Pots go in next Week and the cloches get moved to them. I did put some Peas and Radish under a cold frame a few Weeks ago, they have just started to sprout, it's a bit early to plant them but I figured it was worth a try.

I have Cabbage and Beets starting in trays, they should be ready to go out in about 3 Weeks

reddiesel and martin-f like this.
  15. martin-f

Hi Ian when should runner bean seeds go in please, i bought some small plants last year i only grew them for the flowers tbh i just let them run up the conifers they looked quite nice and provided some flower at height the farther in law enjoyed the crop,

I want to do the same this year but will use seeds.

16. cactikid

one would wonder how cold the soil is and were going to have a white paddies day in ireland lol

martin-f likes this.
  17. reddiesel

The weather forecast is more snow tomorrow ? hope it's wrong !

martin-f likes this.
  18. lincsat

Sorry M8, I don't know. I would imagine you could start them in pots in a Greenhouse around now or plant out after all risk of frost.

Next week has a better forecast here, should be dry and around 10-12 all week. Probably means wet and cold though. If it is dry and mild, then the 1st pots will be in.

martin-f likes this.
  19. martin-f

Thanks Ian i will have a google

Lets hope so we are of up near Scarborough mon/fri for a short break, its snowing here at the moment.
    20180317_123539.jpg

pontiend likes this.
  20. pontiend

pontiend Senile Member

Same here, too Wet Damp and Cold to do anything yet.Brr
    Edit Mrs Ponti has plenty of flower seedlings going.

martin-f likes this.