Paraclipse 3.8 on H to H mount restoration/installation

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by martin-f, Oct 16, 2017.

1. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

Hopefully start work on this project next week, ive come up with a design for the telescopic part and ordered 20 bearings, main importance is no movement unlike a ham radio tower,

The bearing will fit inside a cage made from four pieces of box section this will also be part of the hinge and leveling system, box section will run through the rollers and hold it 100% stable with dish on the top :).

2. martin-f

My stainless steel bearings turned up today with them being exposed to the weather sealed stainless and self lube was the way to go, i can start getting the other parts together now :).
    20180328_181133.jpg 20180328_181145.jpg

gap30 and crossbones like this.
  3. martin-f

Ive been busy with other projects but hopefully i can get the tilt and telescopic part made and bolted to the base next week, the garden looks bare since the DH went,

I have a few bits to start the fabrication i will have to pick a few parts up one being a 6x6 inch box section that will be part of the raising mechanism,

Basically something like this
    ddddd.PNG

Will be bolted onto the front of my existing movable base.
    Capture.PNG

crossbones likes this.
  4. martin-f

Started cleaning the dish today its come up like new i will be spraying it before installation, most of it is cleaned just a few bits left and the mesh,
    DSC_0351.JPG DSC_0353.JPG DSC_0357.JPG

Checking every part as i am cleaning it and come across one of the ring sections a little twisted ten minutes with the vice hammer and some heat and its back like new.
    DSC_0342.JPG

purplemarina and crossbones like this.
  5. martin-f

Tested the sensor today it works fine then built the H-H back up, i need to drill the chain tension hole bigger and shorten the chain, i can give it a test and do any tweaks if necessary.
    DSC_0220.JPG DSC_0222.jpg

crossbones and reddiesel like this.
  6. martin-f

Managed to find time to test the H/H today works like a dream nearly 3 minuets from one end of the arc to the other, i wanted it a bit slower but i am happy enough to leave it like this, i need to shorten a few bolts and do a few little tweaks apart from that its just about done.

Short video below
    DSC 0040

crossbones likes this.
  7. martin-f

crossbones likes this.
  8. martin-f

Over the last few months ive been collecting suitable used steel for the job in hand, basically the black box section will be made into a square cage using threaded rod, a bearings will be installed on every threaded rod x20 for the raising mechanism, the dish will be attached to the bigger square box section and slide up/down on the bearings.
    DSC_0065.JPG DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0069.JPG

crossbones likes this.
  9. ShfAhroon

ShfAhroon Member

SatHunters Forum Founder, Owner and Administrator
    great work

martin-f likes this.
  10. martin-f

Thank you Arun hope all is well my friend, ive not been doing much satellite wise my 1.2 dish has been parked at 42E since the world cup, i keep having a hour on this project when i drag myself away from other hobbies, i will pop over and see whats happening at your end anything clearing in PVU at 68.5E any cricket feeds turning up.

11. martin-f

Hi spent a few hours on this project today, cut the box section to 7ft lengths cleaned it up then started drilling the many holes, ive decided to have a spacing of 3ft holding the dish pole i will double up on bearings top and bottom and single bearings in the centre,

This is as far as i got today, i need to drill same again x2 for the bearings then at a later date after testing another set at the bottom for the tilting mechanism winch to attach to, this part of the meccano set will bolt to extra steel concreted in the ground for extra stability when the dish is up high for extreme DX at the ends of the arc.

A few pictures of today's progress.
    DSC_0081.JPG DSC_0082.JPG DSC_0084.jpg DSC_0090.JPG DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0095.JPG DSC_0097.JPG

12. martin-f

Hi more work done on this project,
    DSC_0120.JPG DSC_0121.JPG DSC_0122.JPG

Small video of the telescopic part.
    DSC 0119

13. martin-f

Started work on one part of the tilting mechanism today lots of work still to do but its coming along.
    DSC_0155.JPG DSC_0157.JPG DSC_0158.jpg

14. martin-f

More drilling done today, i need to brace across the rail track for extra stability ive cut more 20mm threaded rod long for the braces to fasten to, the king post can be made up and bolted on to it then.
    DSC_0163.JPG DSC_0165.JPG DSC_0167.jpg DSC_0168.JPG

15. crossbones

crossbones Well-Known Member

Great progress mate!

martin-f likes this.
  16. martin-f

Thanks CB yes its coming along great another day on the tilting raising part then its onto the install, we might see some signal reports in the next few weeks if i can drag myself away from metal detecting.

17. martin-f

More work done today i need to fabricate a hinge for it now.
    DSC_0176.JPG DSC_0178.JPG DSC_0179.JPG DSC_0180.JPG DSC_0182.JPG DSC_0184.JPG DSC_0185.JPG DSC_0186.JPG

18. martin-f

Started work on this yesterday this is as far as i got i need to pick a 25mm drill bit up before i can continue.
    DSC_0187.JPG DSC_0188.JPG DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0193.JPG DSC_0196.JPG

19. martin-f

More work done on the tilting pivoting leveling system its still work in progress but coming along great.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. martin-f

@lincsat Hi Ian a couple of queries please, mesh, there is a right/wrong way to install it, if your just using C band it doesn't really matter but i will be using KU as well the pictures on page one of this thread are not clear and ideas please

At first glance it looks the same any way up, running your hand down both sides you can feel it smoother on one side,

On closer inspection you can see the steps in the side without the weld
    Mesh.PNG

Above is smooth -------------------------------------------------------------------You can see the steps this side

I can only presume the smoother side faces the satellite the holes do look slightly smaller as well i will measure the differences and report back

Also the LNB any ideas of the frequency range please its a Precision blue thunders many thanks.