Paraclipse 3.8 on H to H mount restoration/installation

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by martin-f, Oct 16, 2017.

1. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

Capture.PNG

2. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

I didn't have any instructions and no idea if the mesh was installed correctly when I collected the dish. It just got installed as best that I could. I doubt I had it installed with enough surface accuracy to be any good at all on Ku band.

The LNB was a cheap (around £50) with the lowest noise temperature I could find. At the time, there were very few good C Band LNB's around as the only thing that was commonly received was the Russian 14W transmission that could be received with a dustbin lid.

martin-f likes this.
  3. martin-f

Many thanks Ian i will install it smooth welded side facing the satellite its got to go that way, Lnb i will see if i can find the old band plan for 14W i was hoping it was 4.5/4.8 GHZ i know some of the old satellites was, if all fails put it on and try i know the super feed is ideal for them frequencies thanks again pal.

4. martin-f

More work done today picked some 8.8 M16 high tensile nuts bolts and washers up put a couple of braces on the main king post and welded the leveling plate to the top of the king post.
    DSC_0242.JPG DSC_0244.JPG DSC_0245.JPG DSC_0246.JPG DSC_0247.JPG DSC_0248.JPG DSC_0249.JPG

5. martin-f

Managed to finish one part of the hinge system today a fair bit of work involved in this part i am glad to see the back of it tbh, the main bolt that holds it all together is M24 8.8 grade with a breaking strength of 32.5 ton-force metric so it shouldn't be going anywhere the four M16 8.8 grade give a combined breaking strength of 54.4 ton-force metric.

Stainless bolts are good for no rust but they are weak in comparison to 8.8 grade and above i will grease them all up on completion.
    DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0008.JPG

6. martin-f

Part two now complete :).
    DSC_0011.jpg DSC_0015.jpg

7. martin-f

Hi more work done today,

I wasn't happy with the king post there was a little bit of twist in it when the pivot was in the horizontal position so ive beefed it up by doubling up on the H girder and welded it on, next job was strapping some of what ive done to the rail track, still lots more work to do but a couple more jobs to tick off my long list.

DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

8. martin-f

Hi, i managed to pick a feedhorn up for this build it arrived from Australia today ADL RP3-2-2B.
    DSC_0079.JPG DSC_0082.JPG DSC_0083.JPG DSC_0084.JPG DSC_0085.JPG

9. martin-f

Ive seen a modification for the above feedhorn called the Frankenstein Triple (many thanks to the designer of this modification and documenting it)

Anyhow i had a few spare parts knocking about to do this conversion, basically you do away with twin KU band LNB and use a universal one, i just need to cut the long pipe to length and insert it into the barrel tighten the grub screws up job done, i will finish it at some point tomorrow and post a few pictures up.
    DSC_0088.JPG DSC_0087.JPG

10. martin-f

On closer inspection it wasn't as simple as that the tube was about 1mm to big and wouldn't fit up the throat of the feedhorn, i am desperate for a lathe and been on the lookout for one for months now, i just cant find the right one at the right price local to me, so a little improvisation was needed,
    20181020_134710.jpg 20181020_141147.jpg

Job done that's KU band sorted
    DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG

purplemarina and jaes like this.
  11. jaes

jaes Member

.. thinking outside the box ;). Where there's a will there's a way.

martin-f likes this.
  12. martin-f

Here is a link to this modification, Pendragon has done various modifications a man to look up to and take note,
    Frankenstein Triple Ortho or Dual Ortho Universal

And here is another nice modification from him, its certainly worth time finding more threads by him and having a read through them.
    C-band Linear/Circular Orthomode Feed Modification

jaes likes this.
  13. martin-f

True pal, did you get one John it looks like three have gone now, at that money their hard to turn down.

14. jaes

jaes Member

Nah, interesting reading though. I don't do much on Ku at the moment, i have a 1.2 CM that i use if i wanted to wander off onto Ku lol.
    I just use my 2.2 for dedicated C-band and my other interest is Ka band for which i use a 1.2 Gibby with a motorised lnb changer for the different Ka bands. Was going to upgrade the Ka 1.2 Gibby to a 1.5 Gibby this summer but never got around to doing it - iv'e got too many irons in the fire as it is.
    I'm still interested in any info or quotes you get back on those full range Extended C-band lnb's though ;)

martin-f likes this.
  15. martin-f

I thought you might have got tempted pal, @lincsat had a nice 1.5 for free if he still has it and your in need ? pickup from Lincoln,

I checked my emails regarding the LNB and nothing from them today, if i don't here anything tomorrow i will chase it up again as mentioned i really could do with one myself.

16. jaes

jaes Member

Ok Mart, is the 1.5 an offset ? - needs to be an offset so as to install the lnb changer system and also a decent quality one like the Gibbys, which have a decent surface accuracy that's needed for Ka use.

martin-f likes this.
  17. martin-f

Yes John its off set and good quality if Ian still has it, a 1224 will bolt straight onto it but i have that, i would have had the dish but not having a van the quotes i got was not worth my while, Ian will look in at some point and let you know if its still available.

18. martin-f

jaes likes this.
  19. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

Yes the dish is still available, it's laid on it's back and full of water ATM. Be quick though, the boss wants rid and it could get dumped before long.

martin-f likes this.
  20. martin-f

Thank you Ian its a nice dish and would be a shame to scrap it,

John if you do get it please let me know i have the conversion brackets here for the 1224 i will pop across with them for you pal.
    DSC_0106.JPG

jaes likes this.