Paraclipse 3.8 on H to H mount restoration/installation

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by martin-f, Oct 16, 2017.

1. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

Hi ive been doing a bit of work on the para, no certain picture order but ive drilled and tapped the pole cap and fixed a bolt through the pole adapter to stop the cap spinning round the pole adapter, it does have two bolts but they don't go straight through like the new one now does,

Fixed a safety device to the elevation in case the welded nuts broke loose it will prevent the dish hitting the pole me being over cautious,

Tested the declination fine tuning mechanism works great,

Started lining the dish up and got my first C/KU band signals i am using the ADL with Frankenstein mod no plate, it was late in the day and i only locked onto what i believe to be a side lobe i will wire the motor up and set it better next time i was peaked for 0.8 W and locked 4.8/1.9E so it must be a side lobe, things are looking promising.
    DSC_0146.JPG DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0148.JPG DSC_0153.JPG DSC_0154.JPG DSC_0160.JPG DSC_0161.JPG

2. martin-f

Hit a bit of a snag motor/gearbox has packed up, its probably repairable but i am going to do a modification that was done on these dishes in 1990/1,

nnn.PNG

Ive stripped the motor out today and had a rummage around in the workshop and found a gearbox i was using on another project,

A bit of drilling welding and bolting i can get this lot to do the job :).
    DSC_0168.JPG DSC_0169.JPG DSC_0170.JPG
    DSC_0171.JPG

scopus, chorleycat and cactikid like this.
  3. martin-f

Hi i dropped the spigot in for machining today it should be ready Friday, unfortunately the cover wont fit once the modification is complete i will get a waterproof case for the magnet switch the rest should be OK left exposed.
    DSC_0170.JPG

4. martin-f

Hi, while i am waiting for the spigot to be machined its time to drill and fix the gearbox its a straight forward job the holes line up you just need to enlarge them and add a forth you need to add a washer inside the housing as shown in my picture,

Ive raised the gearbox slightly the extra nuts serve two purposes it raises the gearbox and will prevent it coming loose locking the nuts, four will be fitted once i get the spigot back.

DSC_0172.JPG DSC_0173.JPG DSC_0174.JPG DSC_0175.JPG DSC_0176.JPG

scopus and brian like this.
  5. martin-f

Hi i got the spigot back today i need to file the woodruff key then it will be ready for installation.

DSC_0182.JPG DSC_0183.JPG

6. martin-f

Job done i need to pick some copper slip up, i was in my twenties last time i filed a key my arms are not as strong as they was then.
    DSC_0186.JPG

7. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

LOL reminds me of my 1st Week in an engineering apprenticeship. We were all given some 2" diameter round bar and told to file it square and when done, file it round again

martin-f likes this.
  8. martin-f

Lol mate its dam hard work as you know.

9. martin-f

Hi not much done today i have pulled the spigot into the gearbox with a make shift puller i also re positioned the idler sprockets they was a little out of line on the chain ring, i need to pick a few bits up tomorrow and get it built up.

DSC_0188.JPG DSC_0189.JPG

10. martin-f

Just about finished a few little bits to do, ive removed the stops mechanism from inside the motor and have bench tested it and its working fine, i will time a full revolution tomorrow and calculate the the full arc time.
    DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0197.JPG DSC_0199.JPG DSC_0200.JPG

11. martin-f

Hi further testing today while testing the magnetic switch east side packed up it turned out to be the diode (NTE5801) ive located one here https://uk.farnell.com/nte-electronics/nte5801/standard-diode-3a-100v-do-27/dp/1383797 removing the switch i broke the glass on the read sensor after further investigation its a normally closed unit that's needed same as this 5.6X52mm Normally Closed Magnetic Glass Reed Switch (GC1625) - Bossgoo.com i need to locate some local,

I can still install the motor and gearbox i will just use a v box for the time being while i get the new parts the v box wont reach the ends of the arc,

I will replace both E/W sensors and diodes while i am at it, i only had limited time to spend on the project today and this new issue slowed me down i am glad the issue happened while the unit was on the bench.

12. martin-f

All testing complete the unit is now ready for instillation, ive calculated the full arc time of 180 degree and it works out at 5 minutes 24 seconds that was using a Geotrack gp-1000 positioner the RC 2000C can make this time slower or quicker depending on settings used, just what I wanted nice and slow for fine tuning any weak signal in obviously my arc is not as big as that but its a nice arc 65W + and ive had 64.2 E before, i hope I can get a little bit further E with this new setup,

The final test will be when its on the dish I will report back as and when complete.

DSC_0202.JPG

chorleycat likes this.
  13. martin-f

Hi installed the motor last week all is working well very pleased with it.
    DSC_0202.JPG DSC_0209.JPG DSC_0210.JPG DSC_0212.JPG

chorleycat likes this.