Problems replacing a broken sat receiver with a new one!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by cloudy, Sep 16, 2018.

1. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Hello

I really do not like asking for help but I have been stuck with this for over 2 weeks now without much success so hopefully I might get a little nudge here that will help me on my way. I am based in the UK.

Quite a few years ago I had a DiSeqC 1.2 Motorised H-H Motor installed with a large dish; along with an MVision HD200 Receiver, the Receiver has now stopped working.

We used to watch the Hispasat and Astra 19e satellite feeds quite a bit, I also by default liked Astra 28.2E - 2A/2D. the old MVision had a terrestrial loop through capacity so I used to finish by leaving the dish position set at Astra 28.2E - 2A/2D and watched Astra 28.2e VIA my Freesat tuner on my TV when the Receiver was not in use.

Since the motor/dish has already been set up and found those satellite feeds with my old MVision, The Cryptobox 752HD Combo (DVB-S/S2 + DVB-T/T2) I have purchased to replace the old box will not move to my old satellite positions. Astra 19e seems to be stuck at the Astra 28.2E Position.

I am using a DiSeqC 1.2 Motorised H-H Motor, therefore I select DiSeqC 1.2 on the installation page of the Crypto Box,– I have left the DiSeqC 1.0 and DiSeqC 1.1 selected as none because I am not sure what that is.

I can visually remember the Astra 19e position but the crypto box when applying either DiSeqC 1.2 or USALS moves the dish into a completely different position.

I am wondering if I need to get a sat person over to get the DiSeqC 1.2 Motorized H-H Motor reset as the crypto box may be selecting positions that the Motor thinks are different – or is it something very basic that I am missing.

No YouTube videos of this particular Crypto box exist in English, I found one video in an Eastern European language but that just runs through the unpacking and features description of the box.

Again apologies for coming here but I am at a complete stop here.

Attached Files:

2. FlyerUK

FlyerUK Ye Olde Sat Surfer

Retired, AT LAST!!!
    Would it be safe to assume that you've programmed your own lat/Long into the Crypto box?

It's a good few years since setting up my DiSeqc motor, but if memory serves, Usals is usually a lot easier, rather than DiSeqc.

P.

martin-f likes this.
  3. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Owe dear I feel like a real idiot !! ... I had this set-up for me many years ago while I was busy painting the downstairs so I never took any notice of what was done, but clearly the box has to know what latitude/longitude positions it is working from.

The motor only has the option of DiSeqC 1.2 ( I think ) The factory pre-set hardware limits are from 70 degrees East to 70 Degrees West, but I have just dug out some old notes on my old MVision box and found some drawings indicating 90 degrees West pointing at our Loft window to 90 degrees West pointing away to the Garden. so this must be the range the installer set on the DiSeqC 1.2 Motor.

I vaguely remember him telling me that the spectrum meter must cover an Arc to get as far as 39 degrees East to 30 degrees West, but this may be completely irrelevant to my current problem.

I have just taken a snap shot of the relevant page on the Cryptobox and this is where I think that I need to work out what I must change to get this box reading the position of the motor which I have to assume is correct, the motor does move in either DiSeqC 1.2 or USALS mode via the Cryptobox page.

On the Cryptobox installation page I only have the option of USALS setup, but since it looks like this motor is only compatible with DiSeqC 1.2, I will have to hope that the motor talks to the Box correctly.

I have to work out exactly what I need to do so that I am back watching the various feeds we used to watch ...

C

Attached Files:

martin-f likes this.
  4. FlyerUK

Retired, AT LAST!!!
    Usals is usually (I think) a function of the receiver, not the motor itself. I could be wrong, but using Diseqc meant finding each satellite in turn then storing it, as opposed to Usals which knows where the sats are positioned, though I could be wrong ;-) Once you've set your lat/long (In the receiver setup) you should be ok.

P.

martin-f likes this.
  5. cactikid

cactikid Well-Known Member

DishPointer - Align your satellite dish to find out where you are.
    Reading the pdf suggests its diseqc 1.2 only and not usals.
    When i had an issue as been on wrong sat i used an other box to move motor to that sat and when other box was put back on it was on the correct sat.

martin-f likes this.
  6. FlyerUK

Retired, AT LAST!!!
    Just checked with Wikipepedia, Usals is a function of the receiver, not the motor, and it uses the Diseqc 1.2 protocol to drive the motor. I remember when setting up my Vu-Duo, all I needed to do was set my location, Usals did the rest.

P.

martin-f likes this.
  7. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Back again ...

Well can I first of all thank FlyerUK & cactikid as your contributions set me on the way to resolving this.

The Cryptobox was not that great at finding some satellites, some it found without any issue but others ( especially the ones I wanted ) the box would slightly drift past the satellite I then had to manually inch by inch find it.

I had some help from an old friend who guided me through, and finally I am happily finding all the satellites I used to look at plus more ...

So the Cryptobox actually set my location using Usals - which you eluded to FlyerUK with yiour Vu-Duo - I then I used Diseqc 1.2 driving the motor.

I am really pleased that I am back now with my feeds, my Dish is no more that 90cm in size but I get a lot out of it.

I did try to find an installer in my area from the CAI website but surprisingly very few installers touch motorised dishes ! well in this area of SW London - it looks like many people have multiple fixed LNB's or just a fixed LNB/Dish. it would be interesting to know if anybody else has had issues finding installers for motorised dishes.

Thanks once again .. I am as happy as Larry :)

martin-f and cactikid like this.
  8. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

Glad your up and running again:), most installers don't like to mess with mortised dishes its beyond most of them, its far more satisfying doing it yourself anyhow,

It would be nice to see some feeds from you in the near future :).

Satellite Feeds

9. cloudy

cloudy New Member

I actually joined up in 2010, but in truth I am more of a watcher when it comes to Forums, although I do occasionally dip in to view posts here which I have always found both informative and interesting.

One a personal note I have just noticed in my 1st reply following Flyer’s initial contribution I made an error 2nd paragraph, so belated apologies if anybody has read that and been totally confused.

"The motor only has the option of DiSeqC 1.2 ( I think ) The factory pre-set hardware limits are from 70 degrees East to 70 Degrees West, but I have just dug out some old notes on my old MVision box and found some drawings indicating 90 degrees West pointing at our Loft window to 90 degrees East pointing away to the Garden. so this must be the range the installer set on the DiSeqC 1.2 Motor."

Correction in Red

Keep up the good work Guys and Girls. J

martin-f likes this.