SKY Q Alterntives

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by badboy, Mar 25, 2019.

1. badboy

badboy Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Searched the forum but was unable to find anything on this.

I currently have a Sky-Q box and it's costing too much and we don't watch much apart from the free channels really. I understand when I cancel the Sky Q subscription sky will ask for the box back otherwise it is £199 to buy.

My question is can I buy a second hand Sky Q box from ebay, gumtree, etc and then just view the free channels? Some say you can and some say you can't - a little confused?

2. FlyerUK

FlyerUK Ye Olde Sat Surfer

Retired, AT LAST!!!
    I thought $ky only rented the Q box, if so, legally you can't buy one off Ebay ;-) If all you want are the free to view channels, why not just get yourself a freeview or freesat box? Even if you could get a Q box from somewhere, you'd still need a card to view anything, same as the HD & Plus boxes, unless someone knows different. I doubt $ky would sell you a card for a stolen box, would you?

No doubt you'll get other views from other regulars, eventually ;-)

P.

3. badboy

badboy Well-Known Member

Hey buddy, thanks for the reply.

Can you recommend an alternative box i can purchase which isnt too expensive. I believe sly change the lnb when they give out the Q box. any boxes i can use without having to change the lnb?

4. badboy

badboy Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, i'm viewing on a Samsung UE50MU6120 TV, which i don't think has a satellite tuner. However it does have CI plus slot - can i do anything with this?

5. ABA

ABA Member

the slot on your tv is for an acesse cam for scrambled channels and yes you can get sky q boxes of ebay or get a standard sky digital box same channels just not hd and you will have to change your lnb from a sky q to a standard sky lnb cost lnb about a tenna easy to change and you don't need a meter as its the same satellite

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  6. badboy

badboy Well-Known Member

I spoke to sky and they will be installing a hybrid lnb tomorrow.

I would still prefer to buy a sky q box from ebay, but many people on forums saying it wont work.

The only option is to buy a sky HD box off ebay and then order a sky freesat card for £25. Hopefully this way i can escape the stupid sky subscriptions. Unless anybody else has a better solutions?

Miss the good old NTL days lol

7. jimbo

jimbo Moderator Staff Member

They are still here.

8. badboy

badboy Well-Known Member

the last i had was the kryptview and then they did a subscription model at that point i kind of lost interest plus vn cancelled it due to their crazy price spikes. really looking on the sat side now, where do i start here?

9. FlyerUK

FlyerUK Ye Olde Sat Surfer

Retired, AT LAST!!!
    Second hand HD boxes are cheap on Ebay, so if $ky are fitting a hybrid lnb, then all you need is a ftv card from $ky, as you suggest.

P.

10. ABA

ABA Member

most sky boxes sold on ebay have the sky card in them
    if you take your sky card out of your sky q box and flick through and what you get will be the same channels as you will get on a q box of ebay the card don't get you many channels its there basicly to tell the box what airea you are in i.e. east midlands so you get the local itv exc

11. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

If you're buying a box off ebay, get a Freesat box. You don't need a card. The only channels opened full time with a Freesat card are London Live and Made in

I still have a couple of Humax Freesat boxes to give away, just pay for P&P. You will have to update firmware as the stock is very old

12. badboy

badboy Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same, i know its sky property but dont see why u cant get all the free channels without a card. Sky Q is much slimmer than the HD so would prefer that to be honest.

13. badboy

badboy Well-Known Member

Thanks buddy im going to take a look in your shop. does Humax allow you to record?

14. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

TBH, I don't know. They do not have an internal HDD but may allow recording to an external device.

15. ABA

ABA Member

some boxes you can record on them