Unreliable Worcester Bosch 24i Junior Combi Boiler

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by dns965, Jan 6, 2009.

1. dns965

dns965 New Member

I have a Worcester Bosch 241 Junior Gas Combi Boiler. During the last year here are the following problems that I've had with the boiler:

March 2008 – Replaced PCB. Cost £180 for call out (parts included)

September 2008 – Replaced; PCB, Gas Exchange Valve, Heat Detector. Cost £75 for call out (parts included) and 1 years free service contract from Worcester Bosh

January 2009 – Replaced PCB, Transformer, Pressure Valve, Cost (Covered by service contract)

On every occasion I've had Worcester Bosch out to fix my boiler, they say this is a very uncommon problem with this boiler? Just wondering if any one else has had such problems with same boiler. I am aware that there is ongoing discussions about PCB problems, However 3 PCB in under a year???? The engineer told me that normally for a boiler life (25 – 30 years) they would normally replace the PCB only once!
    Thanks Dean

2. Macabre

Macabre Well-Known Member

Time to get new boiler m8 , once one thing goes more follow.

3. cbrpaul

cbrpaul Well-Known Member

25 to 30 years for a combi boilers life, sorry , but not a chance !!! if you get 10 years your doing well !!!!

An important part of a reliable boiler is the installation itself !!!

A m8 had a combi fitted to replace an old system , he used the old pipe work to save money but he refused to have the old pipe work flushed and cleaned for around £400 , resulting in the combi lasting `13 months , and needing replacing !!! costing another £900.

4. lfkev

lfkev Member

sounds like the engineers dont now what there doing and replacing the most likely part .worcester bosch 24,24cdi,28,28cdi and the junior 24 and 28 are infamous for pcb faults hence the 3 boards funny that so many other parts were replaced at same time give me a baxi any day

5. Pittsey

Pittsey Well-Known Member

I have a worcester Bosch 35CDi. Had a few problems myself. Signed up to npower home care. Costs me £9 a month. But gives me piece of mind, and cheaper than 1 call out every 2 years.

6. morpheus73

morpheus73 New Member

i have a junior 24i boiler and have had it for just over 2 years now when ever we have a shower or a bath we have a job trying to get the water hot then all of a sudden the water will get boiling hot then the boiler cuts out any ideas please

7. drahcirk03

drahcirk03 Active Member

i know of pottertons that are still working well after 30/50 years, the old ones where brill,.

8. lfkev

lfkev Member

sounds like a blocked heat
    exchanger

9. morpheus73

morpheus73 New Member

is a heat exchanger easy to clear or is it a new part? did i mention that the heating side is perfect no problems just a pressure topup once every 3-6 months

10. sauce_head

sauce_head New Member

I had a similar issue, the water would be fine then go cold, but would go hot cold hot etc with central heating on. I took out the flow restriction o-ring in the shower head (small black ring) and it was fine.

However a day or two later and it is now starting hot and then cooling to luke warm and staying at that temperature. Any ideas how I can fix this?

11. anth12

anth12 New Member

these boilers are not good more hassel what they worth condenser boilers are no good for winter due to condensate pipe freezes which are again a pain they have made these boilers good they havent designed them very well :angry:never again buy these unless they sort the stupid problem out

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COMBI BOILER SCRAP EM ALL